Stage Door Blog

While exploring the STAGE DOOR blog, one show in particular caught my attention- The Color Purple. I think the title doesn't illustrate what is it about which is why I thought it was so intriguing. I must admit I have never read the book, seen the play, or even watched the movie, but I took it upon myself to watch clips of the play and do some reading about what it is about and I wasn't disappointed. It was a refreshingly real take on racism in America and "girl power" that these strong women had, particularly the cast they chose in the movie, which consisted of some of the most famous African America women- Oprah Winfrey, Whoopi Goldberg, Margaret Avery etc. The Color Purple came to Broadway in 2005 and did not disappoint. Although I'm just speaking off of the brief clips of both the film and broadway adaptations I saw. The energy the Broadway cast brought to the stage was simply electrifying. All the actors and actresses truly embodied their characters and did the movie justice, in my opinion. I don't think I'm doing The Color Purple any justice in this post simply because, I am just speaking based on clips rather than each adaption in its entirety. However, I thoroughly liked what I saw and I am glad I educated myself on what it is actually about, since I never would have known that from just the title.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Motion

Evolution of Taylor Swift and ABBA

Aeneas and Dido Essay